Thursday, April 20, 2006

wikiHow Almost Let Me Down

Alright, I almost gave up on wikiHow, because it couldn't help me do one simple thing. Put in contact lenses. You would think of all things on wikiHow, they would probably have that. Now the nice thing about the website is if there isn't something on there then you can request it. However, I didn't have time to wait. I went to the eye doctor several weeks ago and got contacts. I'm supposed to wear a trial pair for a week, and then see if we needed to make any changes to the prescription. I put them in on the Friday I went to the doctor (which took a long time), and I wasn't able to put them in again until 5 days later. I was getting so frustrated. My eye wouldn't stay open, and I was about ready to give up on the whole idea of getting contacts. Then I remembered something I had seen on my google homepage this week under "How to of the Week." wikiHow had an article on "How to Perform Self-Hypnosis."
I have been hypnotized before and I remember the guy saying that you could use the relaxation techniques to give yourself more confidence and to get yourself psyched up for a game. So I thought to myself, "Self, it couldn't hurt to try." So I went to the computer. I studied the techniques (I forgot to read the warnings though, but they didn't really apply to me so fortunately it wasn't a huge deal), and I mentally prepared myself to completely let my thoughts go.
The first step is to find a place that is quiet and where you will not be disturbed. That is almost impossible in my house, but I tried in my room. I had barely started climbing down the ladder in my mind when I heard my little brother screaming, "Hallelujah, they are off the race!" (He was watching Amazing Race and I guess the hippies were losing) Then I hear my mom yelling my name. I ignored her until my phone rang and I realized I wasn't going to get her to stop unless I talked to her.
After this small interruption I tried again. This time I made it all the way down to the bottom of the ladder and told myself, "I can keep my eyes open while putting my contacts in." I then brought myself out and went to the sink. The first time I tried after coming out of hypnosis the contact kept slipping off my finger, but I kept trying and it only took two tries to get in my eye! I was so excited. It worked! Now I have no problems getting contacts in my eyes. Thank you wikiHow, you never let me down!

No comments:

 

internet tracking stats
Denver Matchmaking